Human resources in tourism
- A.A. 2017/2018
- CFU 6
- Ore 36
- Classe di laurea LM-49
The student may be facilitated by knowledge of the basic elements of the human sciences.
The purpose of the course is to create the competence to process proposals and criteria referring to the relationship between the techinique of storytelling and marketing, taking into account the channels or instrumental dimensions in which the storytelling is applied: the paper channel, the relationship channel and the digital/ visual channel. The course will stress on how to:
-Develop a theoretical model to understand how stories can form constituent parts of destination marketing and development;
-Give a critical view on possibilities of using storytelling in destination
-Learn how to successfully communicate the stories both verbally and through displays.
The identity of each of us, our emotions, actions and relations are crossed by narratives that guide our choices, even when we buy products and services. It is important that young professionals learn how business strategies of the narrative apply to the tourism industry. An important aspect of corporate culture is its ability to influence relationship dynamics, so the course will provide background and definition to the notion of intellectual capital and describe where and how it fits into the 'knowledge company'. The objective is to analyze the possibilities and drawbacks of using storytelling as a means of developing and marketing Italian tourism destinations. Will be studied the ways in which storytelling is practiced and how stakeholder cooperation unfolds and seeks to determine the prerequisites for using storytelling as part of a destination development strategy. Will be explored real life examples that inspired companies to use storytelling as a means of building their brand-internally as well as externally.
- 1. (C) A.Fontana Storytelling. Strategie del raccontoper vendere se stessi, i propri prodotti, la propria azienda ETAS, Milano, 2010 » Pagine/Capitoli: 100
- 2. (A) C.Ryan The Tourist experience: a new introduction Continuum International Publishing Gropu, University of Michigan, 2002 » Pagine/Capitoli: "Making or breaking the tourist experience: the role of human resources managment" pp.80-110
- 3. (A) K.Maurer Storytelling as a PR tool in the tourism Industry. VDM Verlag Muller, Saarbrucken, 2008 » Pagine/Capitoli: 100
- 4. (A) Thomas A. Stewart Intellectual Capital: The New Wealth of Organization Crown Business, England, 1998 » Pagine/Capitoli: 100
- 5. (C) B.McKercher, H.du Cros Cultural Tourism: the partnership between tourism and cultural heritage managment Routledge, England, 2002 » Pagine/Capitoli: 100
Will be studied selected chapeters from the three used texts and from the recommended texs. Additional teaching materials -handouts, audio-visual, slides- might be also provided during the course and will be possible to download them from the teacher's web page.
- Lectures dialogues
- Exercises in small and medium group
- Vision of audio-visual materials
- Analysis of case studies
- Production (educational project, presentation of a topic)