Human resources in tourism
- A.A. 2019/2020
- CFU 6
- Ore 36
- Classe di laurea LM-49
The student may be facilitated by knowledge of the basic elements of the human sciences.
The course will explain the role of HR in organizations. Define and discuss some of the major HR activities.
Explain the professional and personal skills needed to be successful HR in Tourism. Define the steps in HR strategic planning for destination management. Apply strategies to create diversity plans for a multicultural environment. Develop a job analysis and job description.
The course will also stress on how to:
Develop a theoretical model to understand how storytelling technique can form constituent parts of destination tourism branding and marketing ;
Give a critical view on possibilities of using storytelling in destination tourism managment;
Learn how to successfully communicate the stories both verbally and through displays;
Enhance the knowledge based persuasion and communication with specialist and non-specialist audiences.
Define the steps in HR strategic visual planning for destination management.
The course will:
Identify and explain some of the challenges associated with HR issues in Tourism;
Analyse the designing of strategic planning, of targeted analysis, to determine and prioritize actions.
Explore multicultural competences to offer a broader range of services and products;
Explain the impact of culture on HR practices in tourism destination management;
Study policy and ethics training for HRM in Tourism;
Study the ways in which storytelling is practiced as part of a destination development strategy;
Design team- activities to promote communication and team work.
Knowledge and understanding: Achieving the capacity for originality in developing and applying new ideas in prospective professional contexts.
Applying knowledge and understanding: Enrich problem solving abilities in practical contexts in new or unfamiliar environments.
Making judgements: improve capacities to integrate knowledge and handle complexity and formulate policies even with incomplete data.
Communication: Enhance the knowledge based persuasion and communication with specialist and non-specialist audiences.
Learning skills: Develop the confidence to be largely self-directed and autonomous.
- 1. (C) A.Fontana Storytelling. Strategie del raccontoper vendere se stessi, i propri prodotti, la propria azienda ETAS, Milano, 2010 » Pagine/Capitoli: 100
- 2. (C) C.Ryan The Tourist experience: a new introduction Continuum International Publishing Gropu, University of Michigan, 2002 » Pagine/Capitoli: "Making or breaking the tourist experience: the role of human resources managment" pp.80-110
- 3. (A) K.Maurer Storytelling as a PR tool in the tourism Industry. VDM Verlag Muller, Saarbrucken, 2008 » Pagine/Capitoli: 100
- 4. (A) B.McKercher, H.du Cros Cultural Tourism: the partnership between tourism and cultural heritage managment Routledge, England, 2002 » Pagine/Capitoli: 100
- 5. (A) Hall, C.M. Tourism and resilience : individual, organisational and destination perspectives Channel View, Bristol, UK, 2018 » Pagine/Capitoli: 189
Will be studied "Storytelling as a PR tool in the tourism Industry" along with selected chapters from the used texts (Adottati). Additional teaching materials -handouts, audio-visual, slides- might be also provided during the course or will be possible to download them from the teacher's web page.
- Lectures dialogues
- Exercises in small and medium group
- Vision of audio-visual materials
- Analysis of case studies
- Production (educational project, presentation of a topic)