Advanced international trade
- A.A. 2019/2020
- CFU 9
- Ore 60
- Classe di laurea LM-77
Microeconomics, macroeconomics and statistics.
The objective of the course is to introduce students to the analysis of international data, through the use of statistical and econometric techniques.
The course starts with an overview of topics at the forefront of the research and policy analysis in international context. Then it moves toward applied topics. The material covered includes the estimation of gravity models, the quantification of comparative advantage, the description of international migration flows through network analysis.
Students of the course will be introduced to the empirical analysis methodology generally used for the production of main reports of national and international institutions.
The course reckon on the participation of researchers of the ICE (Promotion Agency abroad and the internationalization of Italian companies) and Istat.
Classical Trade Theory
Modern Trade Theory
Measuring comparative advantages
Trade and Growth
A review of the data types analyzed in international economics
Analysis and data transformations
Univariate analysis and description of the characteristics of the distribution
Bivariate analysis: Correlation
Multivariate analysis: conditional correlation
Multivariate multilevel analysis: dummy variables
Model of causal regression
Analysis with panel data
In the March 8th week some classes will be devoted to the analysis of gender issues related to international economics.
- 1. (C) James Markusen, James Melvin, William Kaempfer, Keith Maskus International Trade. Theory and Evidence McGraw Hill, Boston, 1995
- 2. (C) David Easley, Jon Kleiberg Networks, Crowds and Markets Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2010
- 3. (C) John Fox Introduction to Applied Regression Analysi Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2011
- 4. (A) Elhanan Helpman Understanding Global Trade MIT Press, New York, 2010
Programma da 3 CFU per frequentanti e non frequentanti
- Lectures and Lab exercises with R statistical language.
Inglese (una parte della bibliografia è in lingua)